Saturday, April 30, 2011

{Portable Growth Chart}

This idea is just genius in my opinion! (So no...not my original ha!)  After living in the same house for over 9 years, we've had 2 moves in the last 3 years. They turned out to be for the best, but one of the things that bothered me when we left our first house was our primitive growth chart. That sweet strip of masking tape that we used for a growth chart for the first few years of my daughter's life seemed to be at an end. When we moved from that first house 3 years ago, I painstakingly pulled that masking tape off of the linen closet door and ever so carefully placed it on a long piece of newsprint to lovingly store in her baby book.
Then during the first move I thought I had lost it, and cried for 2 days. Then I realized I had stored it safely and from then on tried to think of something that would allow us to keep a growth chart (I have such a soft spot for them, can't you tell?), but still make them mobile.
About a month ago I came across this WONDERFUL idea over at Moda Bake Shop. This is such a terrific idea! I thought not only of our family, who is hopefully in the same place for many years to come, but also my sisster-in-law, who is military and moves every 2 years. I also have never worked with a jelly roll before, but thought this was a good excuse to try one out!
Then I saw the price of a jelly roll...$40. WRONG-O! Soooooo not making a growth chart for $40+. So I thought on it for a few weeks and came up with my own solution, using scraps and some slight changes. The original tutorial is here, but I did complete mine differently with a few steps altered. I'll try to pass my changes along, but if you have questions, please email me! :)
Here's how mine turned out:
Details: 
-72" from top to bottom, but you would make this according to your child's potential growth
-Center strip is 5" x 72" - I used leftover lining that I had from curtains I recently made. I had to piece about 5" onto the bottom, but otherwise, it was one long strip
-Side pieces are cut scraps, 3 sections on each side measuring 4" x 24" each
-My backing is the same fabric as the center strip, 13" x 72" to cover the whole back
-I used heavyweight fusible fleece in between, about an inch or so smaller on all sides.
-I used a strip of heavy grosgrain ribbon for the hanger. My only mistake here was that I should have placed the ribbon out farther to the ends.Not a biggie, but I did end up tacking the corners down when I hung it up, so they didn't fall forward a little. I will change that on the next one!

*You can make your side pieces any size you want, depending on what scraps you have or what fabric you are using. I came up with my side strip measurements based on what I had.

1. Sew the 3 pieces for each side together to make 2 long strips (mine were 4" x 24" ea.). - OR- however you choose to make your side pieces.
2. Sew those 2 long strips to each side of the center strip, completing the front side of the chart. Press all the seams down (my least favorite part!).
3. Iron the fusible fleece to the back of the front piece.
4. Cut your back piece to size, about 13" x 72" for mine.

Here is one way I altered the original tutorial... by eliminating the binding for the edges. 
5. Place front and back pieces right sides together. Pin your strip of ribbon where you want it, making sure the ribbon is lying between the pieces when you sew. Sew the chart on three sides, leaving the bottom open.
6. Turn it right side out, fold under the edges on the open side, and top stitch it closed. Then top stitch around the rest of the chart for a finished look.

 Done! :) Then I carefully laid out my original masking tape growth chart and transferred the markings/dates to the new fabric chart with a fine black retractable Sharpie. We can now take this easily with us wherever we might move (hopefully many years from now!), just by rolling it up. It's something that we can keep always, and that's my favorite part. (Wait...not spending $40 on the jelly roll is my favorite part!) Don't get me wrong...love the jelly roll look and the idea, but I needed something a little more budget friendly.

Is this possibly my first tutorial? I'm not sure, but it feels like it. :) If you have any questions about how I made this, please email me and I'm happy to clarify! I'll be making 2 more of these in the coming months...one for my SIL who is military and has a 3 year old son, and one for my little sister who is expecting her first child this summer. It only took a couple of hours at the MOST, and this one actually cost me nothing since everything I used was on hand.

How do you like it? I'd love to hear what you think!
Thanks for dropping in!

16 comments:

  1. Hi, Deanna! I'm admiring all your creative posts here so can you please share them with us at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop? Hope to see you there at the party :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a GREAT idea!! Thanks for linking @'Sew Cute Tuesday'! I'll be featuring you tomorrow, so be sure to stop by and grab a 'featured' button!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Custom Boxes World is that the place wherever you’ll get the best and shabby packaging administrations. The problem free on-line framework lets our adored customers, with respect to their custom packaging request and necessities. Custom Boxes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read anything like this before. So nice to find somebody with some original thoughts on this subject. realy thank you for starting this up. this website is something that is needed on the web, someone with a little originality. useful job for bringing something new to the internet!

    Website
    Information

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the most important marketing tools candle making companies are using is the innovative retail packaging.custom candle boxes

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was very pleased to find this web-site. I wanted to thanks for your time for this wonderful read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you blog post.

    Pesisir Pantai
    Pesisir Pulau
    Pesisir

    ReplyDelete
  7. We, at The Custom Boxes World UK, manufacture First-class Chinese Takeout Boxes according to your requirements. Our well-designed food containers help to carry food in a proficient way, preserving its taste and freshness for a long time. Chinese Takeout Boxes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Packaging, prior item insurance, and transportation have taken on vital informational work. In a market heavily loaded with some types of items that have comparable capacity and structure, however, will we better separate our items? The arrangement is that the container: Custom Boxes will distinguish our items. Custom 60 ml Bottle Packaging Boxes


    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this excellent article your content and your photographs are so beautiful. I hope you continue it in the future. Bellmedex is a medical billing services in the US; offers expert practice management, EHR, and medical billing services for quick claims processing and increased reimbursements.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our custom Lenses Boxes wholesale will not only give your Lenses Boxes a trendy appearance but also reduce your packaging expenses. So, if you wish to get reasonable lenses packaging boxes contact us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a fantastic concept!! Thank you for participating in 'Sew Cute Tuesday'! Tomorrow I'll be featuring you, so swing by and get a 'featured' button! The great wealth is health, I wish our EHR  Software will be helpful in your Healthcare Issues.   

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am grateful to this blog site for providing special as well as useful understanding concerning this subject.
    If you are looking for customised fuzo task pad. Get connected with us for more details.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, this is Emma Mia, I have been reading your posts for so long and they are so useful and of great importance as I get a number of useful insight from them. I love the way you provide valuable information and I am looking forward to reading more posts and articles like that. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is an amazing idea! We've been living in the same house for over 9 years and our two moves have turned out to be for the best. The only thing is that it's really expensive to keep track of all the little things. This would make our lives so much easier!
    Our team is proud to provide Cheap Valorant Boosting Services that help you rank up in Valorant.

    ReplyDelete

You can't imagine how much I looooooove comments! It makes my day, no matter how short and sweet. Thanks for stopping by!